What I'm Doing...

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, May 1, 2010

    Baby owls


    P4260320, originally uploaded by Oregon Mike.


    Amazing encounter with two baby owls. When I first found them, they startled me because they were right at my eye level on a branch. Four big eyes staring at me. I tried to take a pic of them but I was so close my movement of getting the camera off my belt spooked them. Good thing they only flew about 10 feet away.






    View all the pics and video on this link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oregonmike/sets/72157623972437158/


    Looks like they are Saw-whet owls. On the owl website it says:

    " Hunting & Food: These Owls hunt mainly at dusk and dawn and most often use the "sit and wait" tactic to drop down onto prey on the ground from low hunting perches."

    This is exactly what they must have been doing when I first saw them as they were right at my eye level. Heading back to that area today, maybe I will see them again. Kind of doubt it though.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment