What I'm Doing...

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, July 11, 2009

    Gear Review: Swedish Mil. Mora Knife

    I would highly recommend this Mora knife. I ordered two from Sportsman's Guide a few weeks ago when I was looking for lighter knife to go in my pack. They are much lighter than the KaBar I was carrying. Don't get me wrong, my KaBar is still a great knife. The just under a 4 inch carbon steel blade is just right for most tasks. They come with a plastic scabbard with belt clip, but it's not the greatest. The knife sort of clip into the scabbard, there is nothing else that holds it in place. It might be fine if you use it on your belt just around camp, but I would not trust it staying in the scabbard if you had to bushwhack. The scabbard is great for my uses inside an outer pocket of my pack; SG says it weighs 4 ounces. If I find a decent replacement for the scabbard it will go on my belt. I think this is the best knife for its price, SG sells them for:


    New Swedish Mil. Mora Knife
    $11.97


    That's right, $11.97! They sell a 2 pack of these knives for $24.97; I'm not sure why you would want to pay more for each knife by ordering the 2 pack. Do the math. Just order the single and change the quantity in your shopping cart.


    -- Oregon Mike

    1 comment:

    1. Unfortunately, since this blog post, they've increased the price of the single knife to $14.97. Someone at SG must have noticed the mistake.

      BTW, I borrowed an idea from SpartanJohns on youtube and put a piece loop cord through the belt loop on my knife (it's the stainless version of this knife), with a slip knot on it so I can cinch it down to hold the knife in the sheath.

      Also, looped a cable tie through the belt clip, which then clips onto a carabiner that slides onto my belt. It becomes a sort of modern dangler style sheath.

      ReplyDelete